When I first heard the recipe for this chutney I was baffled and was taken by surprise. How can chutney be made without the most important ingredient i.e. coconut? Being a south Indian I couldn’t imagine making chutney without the core ingredient coconut which we tend to use in almost 90% of the dishes…..correction make it almost 99 % of all our dishes. We tend to put it in upma, poha, nuchi, ghashi, upkaris etc in ample quantities ……. and there is this never ending list. When I first tried this recipe a year back, it did not taste right and it had a lot of shortcomings. It did not look good, which is one of the most important attributes of food as if something is not visibly good you will not feel like tasting it at all. The proportion of the various ingredients was not proper. In my haste of making it quickly I ended up putting excess water which resulted in the end product (chutney) being more watery which made it difficult to use it as a spread on the bread ……….but my sweet and co-operative little hubby (pun intended) said that the “taste is good and the next time I should put a bit less water and it would be just perfect”. It’s been almost a year since that comment and now after numerous hits and misses I have at long last got the hang of this recipe and am able to balance all the ingredients in the right proportion which I would like to share with you.
Sandwich green chutney
Ingredients
2 cup Coriander leaves
1/4 cup groundnut
1tsp jeera
1 inch ginger
½ tsp sugar
4 to 5 green chills (depends on the spice)
1 tsp lime juice
Salt to taste
Put little water grind this all together, add water as per requirement to make it into smooth paste ………..and yummy chutney is ready.
How long does it last ?
ReplyDeleteIf you refrigerate it, it can stay even for a month.
ReplyDelete